17 - 18 September, 2018
Victoria Park Plaza, London
44 (0) 207 368 9445
InvestOps Day 1 – Monday 17th September 2018
7:30 am - 8:20 am Conference Registration & Networking Breakfast
8:20 am - 8:25 am Welcome Address: Lauren Harrison, Conference Director, InvestOps
8:25 am - 8:30 am Chairperson's Opening Remarks
THINK BIG TO WIN BIG
8:30 am - 8:50 am Inspirational Keynote: Assessing the top trends in finance: How can investment operations best collaborate with the rest of the value chain to drive transformation?John Marsland - Chief Operating Officer Schroder Investment Management
- Grabbing the bull by the horns: Pinpointing when it’s right for collaboration to feed the pace of transformation in the industry –
- How to drive change not only in the middle office but through the whole operational model and remove silos
- Collaborative approach: How operating in a joint operating model is the only way to reduce complexity, increase data quality and reduce operational costs
John MarslandChief Operating Officer
Schroder Investment Management
8:50 am - 9:30 am All-Star COO Panel : Pinpointing the top 3 strategic priorities for 2019: Where should you focus your time, money and energy to best meet the growing demands of the business?Paul Miller - Partner Catalyst Development Ltd (Formerly Managing Director, Knadel) Karin Van Baardwijk - COO Robeco Marion Mulvey - Head of Investment Operations, EMEA J.P. Morgan Asset Management Tom Richardson - Chief Risk Officer, Executive Director LPP
- How can you practically assess, understand and measure costs as a critical starting point?
- What is the ideal team-set up to service the front-back cross-asset operational needs of your business?
- Building your foundation: How to best organise your internal processes to accelerate the success rates of your operational projects?
- Increasing agility: How to leverage technology and third party service providers to enhance agility, flexibility and speed to market?
- Making tough financial choices: Where will budget be spent in 2019 and where will it be sacrificed?
Catalyst Development Ltd (Formerly Managing Director, Knadel)
Karin Van BaardwijkCOO
Marion MulveyHead of Investment Operations, EMEA
J.P. Morgan Asset Management
Tom RichardsonChief Risk Officer, Executive Director
DRIVING INDUSTRY INNOVATION
9:30 am - 9:50 am Buy Side Leader Interview: Establishing the buy side wish list: What are the gaps in the current front-to-back cross-asset solution provider space that need bridging to meet current requirements?Anders Kirkeby - Technical Fellow and Vice President of Enterprise Architecture SimCorp Geoff Galbraith - COO MAN Group Fabio Tramontano - Executive Director Goldman Sachs Asset Management
- How can the industry work better together when ever increasing complexity is putting strain on the operating model to overcome major industry transitions?
- Evaluating the 2019 wish list: What did we learn from partnerships in 2018 and what have we learned from a complexed regulatory environment?
- How can the buy side work together to create common standards and tools that make partnering with providers an easier process?
- Ranking the key criteria – What is the most important criteria?
Fabio TramontanoExecutive Director
Goldman Sachs Asset Management
9:50 am - 10:40 am Panel: Smart strategic decisions: How are players from the rest of the value chain innovating to help with the buy side wish list and overcome increased complexity in their business demands?Anders Kirkeby - Technical Fellow and Vice President of Enterprise Architecture SimCorp Mark Persiani - Head of Derivatives Operations Blackrock Alain Mandy - COO Wellington Management Funds WMF Global Alan Copping - Head of Market Support SimCorp Mark Weller - Managing Director of EMEA Asset Management Broadridge
- In light of the mounting cost pressures how can you be sure that you are getting bang for your buck when partnering with the sell side, market infrastructure and technology provider universe?
- Staying on top of technology innovations: How can you leverage tech providers to streamline your operating model?
- How to direct time and effort to growth initiatives rather than simply reducing cost to feed the bottom line?
Mark PersianiHead of Derivatives Operations
Alain MandyCOO Wellington Management Funds
Alan CoppingHead of Market Support
Mark WellerManaging Director of EMEA Asset Management
10:40 am - 11:20 am Coffee Break
OUT OF THE BOX INSPIRATION
11:20 am - 11:50 am Exclusive Guest Speaker: AI – It’s not in the future, its right here, right now: How To Ensure You Are investing in the right initiatives that add value to your Investment Operations and make commercial senseShamus Rae - Head of Innovation, Digital Labour and Cognitive Transformation KPMG
Shamus is the lead on Intelligent Automation (transformation/ automation through the use of Artificial Intelligence) for KPMG both transforming the firm's services but also taking this experience into the marketplace to help clients embrace this new and disruptive technology.
Shamus RaeHead of Innovation, Digital Labour and Cognitive Transformation
NAVIGATING THE POLITICAL LANDSCAPE
11:50 am - 12:10 pm Political guest keynote: Progress on Brexit: 18 months on from triggering article 50 what have we learnt, and how can we expect it to impact on the global economy and investment landscape?Anthony Hilton - Financial Editor Evening Standard
- Lifting the lid on Article 50 taskforce timeline: What stage have they reached in negotiations?
- How will the trading lifecycle of buy and sell side institutions be impacted by the outcome, and how can they remain resilient in the face of change?
- Examining the knock on effect of Brexit in Europe and understanding why the Investment landscape only slowed down momentarily
- Across the pond: How have the negotiations affected the UK and US relationship?
- Next steps: What does a post-Brexit Britain look like and how can you use it as a competitive advantage?
Anthony HiltonFinancial Editor
12:10 pm - 12:30 pm Fireside Debate: Spotlight on London: Will it survive as a financial hub post Brexit and what does this mean for your role?Suren Chellappah - COO Sanford C. Bernstein Jean-Charles Delcroix - Chief Compliance Officer Amundi Anthony Hilton - Financial Editor Evening Standard
- How are UK based financial services firms reviewing their options to ensure they have access to the whole EU market from one location?
- How are regulators pressing down on firms to make clear how they will maintain service to their clients in the event of a “hard” Brexit?
- Assessing fact and stats: Is it really realistic that three decades of post-Big Bang concentration can be eradicated overnight due to Brexit?
- The global impact: Why London could suffer more on a global than European front until he new EU-UK financial arrangements are made clear
Moderator: Suren Chellappah, COO, Sanford C. Bernstein
True: Jean-Charles Delcroix, CCO, Amundi Asset Management London
False: Anthony Hilton, Financial Editor, The Standard
Sanford C. Bernstein
Jean-Charles DelcroixChief Compliance Officer
Anthony HiltonFinancial Editor
GAINING THE INFORMATION EDGE
12:30 pm - 1:10 pm Panel: Leveraging cutting-edge data management approaches: Which new strategies and technologies should you implement to make information your competitive advantage?Anders Kirkeby - Technical Fellow and Vice President of Enterprise Architecture SimCorp Mike Tumilty - Director of Global Operations Aberdeen Standard Investments Andreas Roussos - Chief Business Development Officer Point Nine John Marsland - Chief Operating Officer Schroder Investment Management Jan Noppen - Head of Standards Tools and Methodology Swift
- Under regulations, growing technology, big data and advanced analytics how are global firms addressing the need for a new approach to data management?
- How can you best overcome cybersecurity and risk management issues to ensure how you are using your data is in line with regulations?
- Creating a uniform code for data: How to ensure your data management is consistent across the business to fully reap the reward of standardisation
- How to decide which specific technologies can help you streamline your global data processes
- Evaluating ways to resolve data processing issues without having to reinvest in legacy technology and infrastructure
Mike TumiltyDirector of Global Operations
Aberdeen Standard Investments
Andreas RoussosChief Business Development Officer
John MarslandChief Operating Officer
Schroder Investment Management
Jan NoppenHead of Standards Tools and Methodology
1:10 pm - 2:40 pm Lunch Break
1:10 pm - 2:40 pm Woman in Operations Lunch & Diversity LunchDiana Dhote - Head of Global Operations HSBC, Asset Management Group Julia Streets - CEO and Host, Divercity Podcast Streets Consulting Cathryn Lyall - Co-Founder Seismic Foundry
Hosted by prominent leaders in the operations space. They will discuss how useful tips that you have received which has contributed to success in the industry, how together woman can help motivate each other and take a positive, forward looking approach to retaining talent in the industry.
Diana DhoteHead of Global Operations
HSBC, Asset Management Group
Julia StreetsCEO and Host, Divercity Podcast
TRACK A - Optimising Your Derivatives Workflow2:40 pm - 3:20 pm Panel: How can you fix the legacy issues in your front office derivatives processes to avoid doubling up of workload in the middle and back office? John Lund - Buy Side Derivatives Collateral Management Specialist Ismail Larbi Meziane - Head of Middle Office France Candriam Investors Jarno Bostelaar - Head of Operations Cardano Group Cardano David Pearson - Head of Post-trade Fidessa Krzysztof Wierzchowski - Global Trade Services Director Franklin Templeton Investments
- Drilling down into the impact of derivatives regulation on the front office: how has the front office dealt with trading, reporting and collateral requirements?
- How can we support the front office in cost efficiently managing connectivity to SEFs?
- How can we better streamline the multiple reporting requirements?
- Has collateral become a front office concern? How has the un-cleared margin rules effected the front offices and ETFs?
Ismail Larbi MezianeHead of Middle Office France
Jarno BostelaarHead of Operations Cardano Group
John LundBuy Side Derivatives
Collateral Management Specialist
David PearsonHead of Post-trade
Krzysztof WierzchowskiGlobal Trade Services Director
Franklin Templeton Investments
TRACK A - Optimising Your Derivatives Workflow3:20 pm - 3:40 pm Regulatory Keynote: Resiliency, recovery and resolution: How are regulators ensuring that CCPs financial resources are up to scratch and minimising risks in the ecosystem? Patrick Pearson - Head of Financial Market Infrastructure and Derivatives European Commission
- Revisiting the three R’s for CCPs: understanding the importance of protecting the whole financial systems by also protecting the customer – end-investors
- How CCP recovery and resolution will safeguard participants and investors in the event of CCP default and what red flags to take note of
- Mitigating interdependent risk: An analysis of measures taken to eliminate the risk for stakeholders
- FSB,CPMI IOSCO and European Commission interaction: How regulators are working together to create a robust framework for CCP recovery and resolution
Patrick PearsonHead of Financial Market Infrastructure and Derivatives
TRACK A - Optimising Your Derivatives Workflow3:40 pm - 4:20 pm Panel Revolution: Optimising collateral: How can you holistically manage margin calls across different product lines to drive overall business profitability? John Lund - Buy Side Derivatives Collateral Management Specialist Christian Brønd Måhrbeck - Head of Derivatives Operations Nordea Asset Management Jan Grunow - Head of Investment Operations Swiss Life Asset Management David Nable - Managing Director and the Head of Commercial Strategy Arcesium Sheila Schofield - Business Manager Europe TriResolve Matthew Scott - Head of Operations G-Research Luc Vantomme - Regional Head Europe, Relationship Management Euroclear
- Drilling down on the top challenges that currently prevent you from optimising collateral across your firm and addressing how you can overcome them
- Integration or starting over: What real case examples are there of technology fully integrating with legacy systems successfully to re-invent the collateral workflow
- Is quality lost when adapting a pre and post trade tool?
- Thinking strategically: How can you increase business profitability now we are edging out of the collateral conundrum?
- Next steps: Can sophisticated analytics and AI be leveraged to better manage collateral?
Christian Brønd MåhrbeckHead of Derivatives Operations
Nordea Asset Management
Jan GrunowHead of Investment Operations
Swiss Life Asset Management
David NableManaging Director and the Head of Commercial Strategy
Sheila SchofieldBusiness Manager Europe
Matthew ScottHead of Operations
Luc VantommeRegional Head Europe, Relationship Management
John LundBuy Side Derivatives
Collateral Management Specialist
TRACK B - Getting Your Data In Check2:40 pm - 3:20 pm Moving from Silos into responsive data pools: How to overcome key obstacles impeding transformation to optimize process and mitigate risk in your Investment Operations Cliff Warner - Independent Expert, Former Director Core Asset Management, DWS
- What does the ideal digialisated investment operations division look like?
- Lines of Business Disconnect: What are the difficulties in translating business needs into technical requirements
- How can you allow business data drive technical innovation?
- How to enhance data quality and transform the right data into information to improve the efficiency of your operations?
- Low transformational readiness: How to create process simplicity to support agile development
Cliff WarnerIndependent Expert, Former Director
Core Asset Management, DWS
TRACK B - Getting Your Data In Check3:20 pm - 4:00 pm Panel Revolution: Breaking the data quality code: How can you ensure your data is accurate at all times to better support decision making? John Greenan - Front Office Trading Technology Consultant Alignment Systems Naomi Clarke - Head of Data GAM Henrik Bestue - Head of Middle Office Nordea Investment Management Mohammed Mesli - Director, Head of IT Operations Unigestion Marc Rubenfeld - Head of Eagle Solutions, EMEA/APAC Eagle Investment Systems
- How to prevent delays in the way your data is pulled from the market and remove inconsistencies in the processing of this data
- How to achieve a complete and accurate timely supply of information to support business decision making, facilitate regulatory compliance and enable straight through processing
- Exploring “data engineering” and how to assess if this is the best way to navigate the “data storm”
Naomi ClarkeHead of Data
Henrik BestueHead of Middle Office
Nordea Investment Management
Mohammed MesliDirector, Head of IT Operations
Marc RubenfeldHead of Eagle Solutions, EMEA/APAC
Eagle Investment Systems
John GreenanFront Office Trading Technology Consultant
TRACK B - Getting Your Data In Check4:00 pm - 4:20 pm Case Study Cybersecurity - the investment perspective: how to establish policies, procedures that safeguard you against this risk in a rapidly changing environment Louise Piffaut - ESG Analyst Aviva Investors
· How should firms cost-effectively implement controls/safeguards against cyber crime – is regulatory compliance enough?
· What regulation is out there and will be out there that you would need to comply with?
· Staying vigilant: What irregularities should raise red flags and how do you know when to respond?
· What role do investment operations play in cyber security?
Louise PiffautESG Analyst
TRACK C - Leveraging The Latest Tech2:40 pm - 3:30 pm Automate for success: Leveraging cloud-based enablers to automate outdated, manual data processes and comply with new reforms at ease Alan Williamson - Strategic Account Director SmartDX™
-How to implement a new, cloud-based workflow that allows you to extract data and full value from your current documentation
-How to take automation to the next level by applying technology to every stage of the process
-How to scale by complying with new regulations faster and more efficiently
Alan WilliamsonStrategic Account Director
TRACK C - Leveraging The Latest Tech3:35 pm - 4:20 pm Workshop Striking the right balance between day-to-day activities and long-term projects: How to ensure your investment operations does not fall into the tactical over strategic trap? Olivier Dumas - Head of Middle Office, Deputy Head of Core Operations Pictet Asset Management
· Assessing how to balance your time, allocation of resources and budget between compliance-led projects and those geared to optimise business profitability
· How you can leverage regulatory change to accomplish operational efficiency?
· How you can make focusing on the transitional business change over regulations a smoother process
· How you can ensure that there is rigor around the operating model with quality assurance processes and that your employees echo this rigor
Olivier DumasHead of Middle Office, Deputy Head of Core Operations
Pictet Asset Management
TRACK D - Making Tough Strategic Decisions2:40 pm - 3:30 pm Boardroom Driving industry utilities forward: How to raise awareness, put in place standards and encourage industry collaboration to fast-track their adoption and reap the efficiency reward James Cunningham - European Regulatory and Market Initiatives BNY Mellon
- What factors could lead to the development of successful utilities and which could hinder collaboration?
- What are the future opportunities that exist for the industry?
- How can industry utilities be used to achieve an increased transparency of activities, simplified data aggregation and reporting?
- How as an industry can you overcome barriers which impair the effectiveness and adoption of utilities?
James CunninghamEuropean Regulatory and Market Initiatives
TRACK D - Making Tough Strategic Decisions3:30 pm - 4:20 pm Euro System Think Tank Assessing the consolidation of TARGET2 and T2S: How is the Eurosystem exploring synergies across its infrastructures and how will this impact day-to-day operations going forward? Harold Bimpong - Head of Securities Operations Aviva Investors Christoph Heid - Deputy Head of Division - Strategy, Policy and Oversight - Payments and Securities Settlement Deutsche Bundesbank
- Pointing out the challenges with T2S: Has the infrastructure brought its intended rewards?
- How has the Eurosystem progressed in its journey to consolidation functional aspects of its infrastructure?
- How is the Eurosystem innovating to offer new services in response to market demands
Harold BimpongHead of Securities Operations
Christoph HeidDeputy Head of Division - Strategy, Policy and Oversight - Payments and Securities Settlement
4:20 pm - 4:50 pm Afternoon Networking Break
4:50 pm - 5:10 pm Interview: How to leverage cloud technology to transform your back office function from an after thought to an engine that helps fuel the businessAnders Kirkeby - Technical Fellow and Vice President of Enterprise Architecture SimCorp Steve Husk - CEO Cloud Margin
· What are the challenges and opportunities with fully implemented cloud into your investment operations?
· How can you leverage cloud based technology in your collateral management process to reap the rewards of out-of-the-box connectivity to best in breed partners?
· How to centralize your workflow, aggregate collateral data and connect to different partners to turn your back office into an engine that fuels the business
5:10 pm - 5:30 pm Fireside Chat: The outlook for clearing post Brexit: What will be the implications on the clearing competition landscape and the way in which you clear your UK and EU trades going forward?Anders Kirkeby - Technical Fellow and Vice President of Enterprise Architecture SimCorp Leontien Van Den Oever - Principal Risk Manager PGGM Investments
- Assessing the current regulatory landscape: How have you overcome challenges with meeting reporting requirements and what is in the pipeline that with affect your derivatives reporting structure?
- What has been the challenges and successes with consolidating lines into infrastructure with ease?
- Leveraging data: How can you better use your data to build a golden source and consolidate data manipulation to eliminate errors and repetitive formatting.
Leontien Van Den OeverPrincipal Risk Manager